When Karl and I were married, we were graciously given most of the furniture we have and still use today. In order to make everything in our house match, we started a fun hobby of refinishing the furniture people gave us. Now we also come across amazing finds at garage sales and DI : ). This hobby is so much fun, and likewise a cheap way to turn something impersonal and ordinary into something you love! Below are pictures of projects we've completed together. I wish we would have taken 'before' pictures of them, but sadly we didn't. However, we take them now so in the future you will be able to see our projects from start to finish : ).
Our bed was our very first project. We bought it unfinished and saved money by finishing it ourselves, turning it into something we appreciate even more.

Karl's sister, Angela, was giving this table away because it had a crack in the leg. It used to be a dark brown color, and we painted it white. My mom gave us these fun chairs! Thanks Mom : )! I love the way they turned out!
"One man's trash..."

This is my favorite piece we've done so far. It used to house an old TV, and lived it's life at the Koosharem Fire House in Karl's hometown. The men there were going to throw it away because it was so outdated and taking up space. Karl found out about it and brought it back with him from Koosharem one night. I really wish this one had a before picture because it used to look SO different! In fact, the first time I saw it I wondered why Karl had even bothered lugging it home : ). It just goes to show you that even the most hideous thing can become beautiful with a little care and work!

I almost forgot the best part... Karl painted these amazing pictures, from Mary Engelbreit, on these panels. The panels used to be covered with plastic shutters, and didn't do this little TV console any justice. I look at these pictures all the time because I love them so much, and can't believe how talented my "tough" firefighting husband is ; ). I mean who just paints stuff like this free-hand? Not me!


This is another TV console we bought at DI for a steal - $35.00 : ). There is a before picture of this one, but it doesn't show the TV or the greasy, dingy curtains that used to hang inside these little doors.
Top view.
This is a hall table made out of a stair tread and ballisters. We got the idea from a Martha Stewart magazine (I know : ), but sometimes she has really good ideas that I just love).
Top view.




2 comments:
seriously! where does karl pull all of these incredible talents from? i still remember how completely stunned i was upon finding that he made your awesome nintendo halloween costumes himself with no pattern. crazy!
OK, these are all SO amazing Meagan! I want to come visit your house!
Post a Comment